In addition to managing our own grantmaking and dissemination activities, 3ie helps others commission and consume evaluations by providing direct services.
3ie offers a menu of services for implementing agencies and partners, ranging from 3ie staff presentations or participation on peer review panels to 3ie financial and quality management of others’ calls for proposals.
If you want to engage 3ie's professional services, contact ps(at)3ieimpact.org
What we offer
3ie supports the commissioning and consumption of impact evaluations and systematic reviews by providing professional assurance services on request to implementing agencies and other stakeholders. Quality assurance is provided both by 3ie’s own in-house team of technical experts and by external experts contracted by 3ie. Examples of professional services include:
- Design clinics: 3ie recently delivered a 2-day design clinic for program management staff at the United States Department of State. In this clinic, participants learned how to commission an impact evaluation and developed basic designs for four case studies from their own programs.
- Impact evaluation external quality control: 3ie is currently providing external review services for the UK Department for International Development (DFID) on an impact evaluation they have commissioned for the Millennium Villages project in Northern Ghana. 3ie will be involved throughout the life of the study.
- Selection panel participation: 3ie staff members recently served on selection panels for both the Feed the Future and the Development Innovation Ventures programs at the US Agency for International Development USAID.
- Management of grants programs: Last year 3ie organized and managed a systematic review grant window for both DFID and the Australian Agency for International Development. We are currently organizing a systematic review grant window for the Canadian International Development Agency, USAID, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation.
- Advising: 3ie advised the Clinton Health Access Initiative on their Demand-Driven Evaluations for Decisions (3DE) methodology and program.
Individual professional services are priced according to fixed fees. Fees for larger programmes can be negotiated. 3ie Members receive some services free of charge and the rest at a reduced rate. For information on fees, please contact ps(at)3ieimpact.org
Example: 3ie’s quality assurance of the HIV combination prevention evaluations
In the second half of 2011, 3ie entered discussions for a project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to provide quality assurance services and grants management support to a group of impact evaluations of combination prevention interventions for the reduction in HIV incidence in Africa. These large studies were commissioned by the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief , and are receiving supplemental funding from the Gates foundation through 3ie.
So far, 3ie has been working with two of the three study teams. In one study, conducted by the Johns Hopkins University in Tanzania, the combination package being evaluated includes three main components: antiretroviral therapy, medical male circumcision, and a cash transfers program. In the other study, conducted by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in Zambia and South Africa, the components of the combination prevention interventions are: universal testing and treatment, medical male circumcision, management of sexually transmitted infections, and prevention of mother to child transmission.
3ie serves on the Executive Committee for PEPFAR Combination Prevention programs and regularly liaises with the agencies involved in the commissioning and conduct of these evaluations, including USAID and the HIV Prevention Trials Network of the National Institutes of Health.